We LOVE pets at Apple Brides, and love when couples include them in their big day. It lends a personalized touch, and is just as special as honoring a cherished family member. After all, that’s exactly what they are! So if you’ve been dreaming about including your pup (or cat!) in your wedding, we have a couple tips to make sure the day is seamless for you, and them.
photos courtesy Weston C Photographer
1. Find someone to take care of them before and after the ceremony. You don’t want to have to worry about dragging Fluffy along to the reception or hanging out with them all morning while you’re in the salon, so appoint a person (or hire a pet sitter!) to bring your pet to the ceremony location, and whisk them away afterward. It’ll be immensely less stressful for them, and you.
2. Have plenty of water on hand! Especially if you’re getting married in the summer. You don’t want them to get dehydrated. Be sure they ate breakfast as well. Similar to children, they’ll behave better if they’re fed!
3. Make sure pets are allowed at your venue. Not all venues allow pets, so if yours doesn’t, opt to do photos with them somewhere else.
4. Similarly, consider your pets personality before planning their role. If your dog doesn’t love large crowds, photos before a ceremony might be the way to go. If your furry baby is a huge ham who loves attention, a role in the ceremony might be perfect for them! Consider their personality when planning what role they’ll play in your wedding.
5. Get them a cute outfit, but don’t sacrifice safety! If you’re seriously feeling that adorable doggie bow tie or tu tu, that’s cool! Just be sure anything you dress your pet in doesn’t restrict their movement, frighten them, or put them at risk in any way. If your dog hates outfits, maybe pass on the bow tie and opt for a cute floral leash instead. If your cat loves her little t-shirts, but all means, dress her up! Just know how your animal will react, and do test runs before the big day.