Today we’re sitting down with the owners of Denison Ridge and chatting about why couples consider catering their wedding themselves, and why you might want to reconsider that before your big day!
Wedding season at the Ridge starts in May and truly, in wedding language, that is coming right up. Along with wedding season comes the big question– should we cater the event ourselves or hire a catering company to do it? Here at Denison Ridge we have experienced it both ways. I know many think that hiring a caterer is too expensive, but if you do the math, you might come to a different conclusion.
Let me share a few things we have learned at Denison Ridge…
1. Do you like stress? The person responsible for the preparation, usually a parent, will be exhausted before during and after the event. There is just no way around it. Even if you have help, and you will need lots of it, stress is unavoidable.
2. Plan B, or was that C? If you’ve brought in the BBQ or outdoor cooking stove and they quit working (yes this happened!) what will you do? Hope the venue has help or head to the store for something that does work?
3. Not preparing enough food? Now, this is embarrassing, but it does happen. Usually the family will not get to eat so the guests can be served. This is sad, the families are the ones who are starving because they have been at the venue all day getting things ready for the wedding.
4. What about presentation? Everything has been planned to perfection, will your reception table look beautiful too? The reception is very much a part of the day and you want it to look attractive also. For some reason this gets overlooked a lot.
5. What about the clean up? Everything that was brought in: pretty bowls, serving spoons, trays, extra food, cutting knives, coffee service, table ware, warming pans, and the list goes on, must be taken back home. Plus, you have to wash everything when you get them home. Also, the chore of making sure everything is returned to those who brought dishes or loaned them to you. Oh my goodness…I’m tired already!
Phots Courtesy of Distinction Studio
For more information, check out Denison Ridge!