Most of us have never had wedding photos taken, so you end up going into your big day armed only with hearsay and “Pinterest knowledge” when it comes to the photography. This is where hiring a professional comes in handy – their expertise will allow you to relax on your big day and create beautiful memories that will last a lifetime. One such accomplished professional is Rachel from Distinction Studio, who is sharing her favorite tips for getting fabulous wedding photos from a photographer’s perspective:
- Trust your photographer! Getting to know your photographer will help with this, but in the end this is probably the best tip I can give… so I’m going to say it one more time… TRUST YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER!
- Relax and enjoy your day! Your photographs will reflect how you feel on your wedding day so don’t stress and make sure to have fun!
- Have a wedding day timeline! Having a wedding day timeline planned out helps keep everyone on the same page. It also keeps things running smoothly throughout the day. Oh and as a side note, make sure to leave enough time for everything and include a little buffer time in-between things that may run over.
- Hire a professional make-up artist and hair stylist for your big day! From a photographers perspective, having hair and make-up professionally done keeps you looking and feeling your best all day long. Plus how you look and feel will show through in your photos, so best to keep the hair and make-up to the pros!
- Have an engagement session with your wedding photographer! This lets you get to know them (and them get to know you) plus it gives you the chance to work with them prior to your wedding. This will help you and your fiancee feel comfortable and at ease on your wedding day. Oh and this will help a TON with TRUSTING YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER!
6. Eat food and drink water! Sounds simple but you will be busy on your wedding day and something as simple as eating and drinking can easily be forgotten… don’t forget!
7. Be realistic! Hiccups happen; just know something is probably going to happen or go differently than planned… just roll with it and stay relaxed (no one likes a stressed out bride!).
8. Delegate tasks! It’s your wedding day, delegate and let others do things for you… Your job is to enjoy every minute of your wedding day!
9. Prioritize! Think about the photographs that are most important to you and spend more time on those photos
10. Don’t think about! Let your photographer do the thinking and planning for the photos (trust me, it’s better this way! Plus we like to do the thinking and planning of photographs… it is part of why we love being a wedding photographer!)
After reading those 10 quick pieces of advice (keep in mind, those were in no particular order) from a photographers perspective on how to get fabulous wedding photographs… I hope you at least take something away from it and will be at ease knowing your wedding day will be captured beautifully! To finish it off, I truly love being a wedding photographer! I work with some of the most amazing and wonderful brides and grooms; when I meet with them after their wedding, to show them their wedding photographs, I think one of the most common things I hear would be “I’m so glad we chose you” and “I love my photographs! These are amazing!” … After hearing comments like those, I believe some of my tips are probably pretty helpful! Wishing you some fabulous wedding photographs… Cheers!!!