Wedding dress shopping is probably one of the most notorious parts of being engaged. After all, there’s entire shows just dedicated to the experience! It’s one of the parts of planning that girls dream about the most. It can also be frustrating, overwhelming and exhausting. How do you know where to start? We have 5 tips that will help you feel more in control and enjoy your shopping experience– like the free champagne!
1. Have an idea of what you like, and what you’re looking for. A cohesive Pinterest board can come in handy here! Love keyhole backs? Be prepared to tell your stylist that. Want a mermaid gown? Don’t start with ballgowns. Have an idea of what you like, and start there.
2. That being said, keep an open mind. Don’t skip trying on that gorgeous satin gown just because you’re convinced you want lace. You never know until you try it on! You’d be SO surprised how many brides end up with something completely opposite from what they thought they wanted. Keep an open mind when shopping!
3. Make appointments for your shopping day. While it can be tempting to just pop into bridal salons, this is a sure fire way to not get the attention you deserve. Setting up appointments allows for the salon to prepare for you and gives your stylist the ability to focus 110% on you, with no distractions. Be courteous, and set up appointments.
4. Know your budget. You don’t have to know down to the dollar, but have a general idea of how much you want to spend on a dress. Then, don’t look at dresses that are way out of that price range. You’re guaranteed to fall in love with a $5,000 dress if you only should be looking at $2,000 dresses.
5. Be logical about what you choose. Don’t select a tulle ballgown for a beach wedding, or a short, slinky silk dress for a winter wedding. If your wedding is black tie, you’ll be looking for something ultra-formal. If it’s a casual affair, maybe you don’t need that trumpet style ballgown entirely encrusted in crystal beading. Know the vibe of your big day, and find something in line what that!
6. Read the fine print before you hand over your card. Always read over a contract in full before signing and paying, especially if you’re ordering a gown. Know terms of sale, guarantees and delivery dates, payment options, and other purchase details.
7. Lastly, trust your gut! If it feels like it’s the one, it probably is. Don’t over shop! Put it on hold and think about it for a day. If you wake up still thinking about it, it’s true love!